MailCraft io

Email Marketing Forum

Discuss the latest email marketing news. This is the place to talk about the latest trends and topis.
By SirJoe
I recently went to a seminar where the talker kept on saying that e-mails are no longer being used. I was skeptical at first but after hearing him out I do believe that facebook did have a very negative effect on e-mail marketing.
A few years back most people communicated with one another with e-mails. Now days if anyone wants to speak to someone they use facebook. They might go weeks on end without even opening their e-mails. Fortunately most companies still use them so it's still possible to use e-mails for marketing purposes.
By djmail
I recently went to a seminar where the talker kept on saying that e-mails are no longer being used. I was skeptical at first but after hearing him out I do believe that facebook did have a very negative effect on e-mail marketing.
A few years back most people communicated with one another with e-mails. Now days if anyone wants to speak to someone they use facebook. They might go weeks on end without even opening their e-mails. Fortunately most companies still use them so it's still possible to use e-mails for marketing purposes.
Well, in terms of communication, I don't think emails were ever used to "chat". Phones, chat clients such as google chat, yahoo chat, skype, and what not always existed. Fb chat was just part of that group. Then came the age of whatsapp. And now we live in the era of snapchat and all the other "evolved" and secretive chat apps, where messages self-destruct quickly.

Email was never in competition with FB, and so there is nothing that FB has taken away. While you may get newsfeed, articles, and completely useless rumors on FB, any "actual" information still comes via community centered lists and reviews (such as Goodreads,imdb,etc.) or via digital publishing(newsletters, blogposts, articles, curated customized content, and so on).

Where do wedding invitations, gift cards, shopping receipts, warranties, banking communications, insurance claims, newsletters, and promotions go if not into the mail box? People are reading more not less now, and a lot of that reading is happening online. And you can't get a newsletter or the customized bestsellers list or any other information via FB. Frankly, I never stop reading or writing, and I get all of my updates (including from this forum) via my inbox.

Also, FB tried to do something related to digital publishing, but Google is going to beat them out of that space too. Anyone who wants to stay sane in this crazed world of information overload would need to organize and FB doesn't let one do that. I want to know when the next Game of Thrones trailer is out, and I want to know it as soon as it comes out, not via a delayed newsfeed on FB, but via a simple mail from the official youtube channel. The same holds true for anything personal that I do. And when someone posts new content, its usually promotional in nature (even the trailer is a promo for the actual show so that people tune in!). And all of that promotion happens via email.

So, email marketing is thriving. And FB is now becoming the "old" social network. People moved on to twitter. And now they've moved on to a whole bunch of other social networks, like instagram. FB will be dead but email marketing will never be dead as long as people continue to read.
Facebook and other social media app might have been adopted and used more than email but I feel that it has not really reduced the relevance of email. To even show the supremacy of email, most of this apps are likely linked to your email for notifications. People don't use email to chat anymore but they still use it to check their important and official messages.
By remnant
Facebook has got its own niche but it has not eaten into the email marketing share. Most people when seeking correspondence on the formal side of things use email. Signing up or registering with social media sites requires one to have an email address in the first place. There is also a host of social media sites which do not have a similar underlying thread to link them. If you market on Facebook, you will miss an important audience that uses Whatsapp. Email, because of its formality, avoids the clutter found on Facebook which you have to sift through.
Everything affects everything on the internet, so facebook definitely changed email to some extent. The reason for this is people only have so much free time, so they cant constantly invest in the same source of entertainment, news, info, etc. Always growing.
By djmail
That is a great point. If you think about it, everything on the internet is evolving. Like I said, as a social network, facebook's good days are over. Social networks have evolved and morphed into a completely different beast than 11 years ago when FB really started to take off. Its just the nature of the game.

I believe that there will always be a need for email marketing, simply because there is no way around it as of yet. And I think that as marketers we simply need to continue to dominate new social networks, since the first ones usually gain the biggest following and have the best chances of success. People who dominated things like instagram 2-3 years ago are now the top dogs on that website. Similarly, stay on the lookout for newer social networks to dominate and redirect the traffic from that to your website so that people may sign up for your services, newsletters, etc.
That is a great point. If you think about it, everything on the internet is evolving. Like I said, as a social network, facebook's good days are over. Social networks have evolved and morphed into a completely different beast than 11 years ago when FB really started to take off. Its just the nature of the game.

I believe that there will always be a need for email marketing, simply because there is no way around it as of yet. And I think that as marketers we simply need to continue to dominate new social networks, since the first ones usually gain the biggest following and have the best chances of success. People who dominated things like instagram 2-3 years ago are now the top dogs on that website. Similarly, stay on the lookout for newer social networks to dominate and redirect the traffic from that to your website so that people may sign up for your services, newsletters, etc.
You are so right about that. As a marketer we must exploit every emerging opportunity as they evolve in time for the betterment of our biz.
By djmail
Yeah... and what's his address :P I want to fedex him 5000 pages of reports, studies and other documents to let him know that email marketing is not dead.

And I'll paste a note at the very top of the pile that'll read:
Sorry, but I couldn't email all of this to you and FB doesn't have a feature allowing me to send documents to anyone outside my friend circle. I hope you enjoy this amazing reading material.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

You are so right about that. As a marketer we must exploit every emerging opportunity as they evolve in time for the betterment of our biz.

Absolutely. One of the key understandings that all successful marketers eventually realize is that the whole process of marketing is just adaptation. You adapt what we already know to new methods, and you use the old methods as long as they still work. It's pretty simple. :)

Join The MailCraft Community